There are 3 outcomes which can be accomplished through the creation of an AP Custom Workflow.
- Approval Workflow: Define the individuals responsible for approving applicable invoices before they are submitted for posting.
- Coding Workflow: Define the individuals responsible for invoice coding review.
- Invoice Routing: Assign routing of invoices to specific AP Processor(s) based on the defined hopper, company code, Plant Code(s) and Cost Center(s).
- Use of Plant Codes is not required for the creation of an AP Workflow.
- Only applies to cXML and Supplier Portal Invoices
- AP Managers will still see all invoices
- Each Workflow must be assigned to a specific approval group, requiring the creation of an approval group before the workflow can be saved.
- Each Workflow must be assigned to a specific company code, one or more Plant codes and one or more cost centers.
Create an Approval Group
One or more Approvers may be selected from the drop-down list of users with the AP Approver assignment. (shown below)
- Approval order follows the order as names are entered in the Approvers field (shown above)
- Example: First Carol Tester approves, then invoice will be sent to Jeffrey Approver. After which time the invoice approval process is complete.
Utilize Workflow functionality with Approvals
- In Accounts Payable >Settings >Preferences toggle off AP Document Approval settings. (shown above)
- Assign users with the role AP Approver and permission.
- Complete all Approval Workflow details and select a pre existing Approval Group to plug into the workflow.
Utilize other aspects of Workflow functionality without triggering an Approval Workflow.
- In Accounts Payable >Settings >Preferences toggle on ‘AP Document Approvals’ This will bypass any approval groups created in Custom Workflow.
- If applicable, toggle on non-PO based and memos settings.
Coding Workflow Options
Utilize Workflow functionality with specific users assigned as AP Coders.
- Assign specific Accounts Payable users with ‘Code AP documents’ permission.
- In the ‘AP Coder’ field select one or more users with the AP coding permission.
- Utilize Workflow functionality without assigning coding responsibilities to team members outside of AP Processors:
Utilize Workflow functionality without assigning coding responsibilities to team members outside of AP Processors:
- Add ‘Code AP Documents’ permission to each applicable AP Processor role.
- Enter AP Processors as AP Coders in the Workflow template. (shown below)
- Train your AP Processors not to use Coding as an Invoice destination.
- Review use of Accounting Segments.
- The segregation of invoices does not require more than 1 hopper, instead through workflow routing, invoices are sent to the designated AP Processor(s) based on the plant code, company code and cost center coded to the line items.
- Routing will require the creation of multiple workflows, with different accounting segments and AP Processors. The Coders and Approvers can be specified for each as needed.
- In Master Data >Users, ensure each Requester’s default Requisition settings reflect the correct Company Code, Plant Code(s) and Cost Center(s).
Don't forget to grab the downloadable version of this document!